Stereotype threat means to confirm the negative stereotype about your group or community you belong to. Imagine Chang is not an athletic guy by choice but he fears to tell that to everyone because then the stereotype that ‘Asians are not athletic’ will be proved and confirmed about all the Asians. He also does not study or read books in front of his friends because he is afraid his friends will call him a nerd and say that Asians are always studying.
What are some examples of stereotype threat?
- White men perform bad in tests when they know their competition is with Asians. It will automatically affect their performance. It happens because of white men’s thinking about Asian men.
- Old men avoid reading newspaper because they fear then everyone will say things about ageism. Not only old men read newspapers.
- It was told that the test is about the language skills before it started.
The upper class students did well and the lower class did not because it threatened their confidence level.
- Female chess players perform worse than the man chess players because they know they are playing against men. It threatens their ability and then they perform worse.
- A group of girls was chosen. Before the test started half of them were asked to mention their gender, half of them were not. Females who were not asked about their genders did well than the students who were asked. It means such questions affect a student’s brain.
What is important to know about stereotype threat
It is very important to know that stereotype threat affects everyone but especially the students who are the future leaders. It needs to stop to overcome the failures that a student face. They do not do well in their exams because they feel different than other students on behalf of their intelligence and confidence level. The questions about their races are easy to answer but later it affects their performance and they feel belittled and less.
How do you overcome stereotype threat
Tell yourself you are better than everyone else
It is very necessary to affirm yourself and self worth in order to achieve something big in life. You can not go ahead without having confidence and faith in your self. The best way to overcome stereotype threat is to start telling yourself you are better than everyone else!
Avoid to be afraid of stereotypes
Never stop working on what you want just because of your fear. Do whatever the hell you want to do to achieve your goal regardless of what people will say about you or your group. Some people are scared they work on their fear more than the actual task. So it is better to avoid such thoughts.
Don’t compare yourself
Don’t compare yourself with other people. This is the worse thing one can do to destroy his/her personality. Be what you are and do not let the outer world destroy your inner peace. This is how you can refrain yourself from the fear and from stereotype threat.
Do share with your beloved ones, Don’t forget to leave your feedback !!
Article Credit: Faryal Ali